SCA sought to evolve their femcare business and to build a new brand architecture to support this. To this end a new needs-based segmentation was required, which could also inspire subsequent innovation.
Insight Inside were challenged with building a segmentation that could overcome hurdles perceived by the business to be considerable:
- functional focus of the category, driven by long-term messaging around tablestakes
- lack of differentiation between consumers on product-needs
- taboo-factor for research
- inability of respondents to access emotional needs
We worked closely with the SCA team to create a segmentation that addressed all these challenges - our approach being built around:
- working collaboratively with the global team and key local stakeholders
- setting the context for the respondent in the broader world of personal care
- measuring a sensitive hierarchy of emotional and functional needs
- setting a scope that balanced current business reality with category-vision
The outcome was a framework that was seen to explain the dynamics of the category in a powerful new way, and to immediately help build the new brand architecture.